There's a certain curiosity and fascination the general public has with twins, triplets and other multiples. As parents of twins, we have all grown accustom to the multitude of questions asked by friends, family and complete strangers when out and about. (And those soon-to-be parents of twins, prepare!)
The questions/comments are harmless - and for the most part expected - but some of the same questions are asked over ... and over ... and over. Here are some of our favorites (including some funny, quick comebacks!) Please post your favorite to our Facebook page so we can add them to this list or email us at email@example.com
WHEN THEY ARE BABIES:
- THE MOST COMMON: Are they twins?
(Nope, just born really, really close together or Nope, just born a few days apart.)
- Are they identical?
(Hint: If they are different sexes, it's impossible to be identical!)
- You've got your hands full, don't you?
(Two hands, two babies, you could say that. But my heart is overflowing.)
- Whoa, better you than me. I'm glad they aren't mine.
(I'm glad my twins are not yours, too. That would be strange. And God only gives twins to those who can handle them.)
- Do twins run in your family?
(They run in, around and through my family. They run everywhere. Besides, it would take me 10 minutes to explain all of the different reasons twins are conceived.)
- Can you tell them apart?
(Can you tell your kids apart? So yes, parents always can. We just can't always keep track of them.)
- Double trouble!
(Na, double blessing)
- My kids are (10, 11, 12, 13 etc.) month apart, so it's like having twins.
(No, it's NOT like having twins. It's like having kids 10, 11, 12, 13 etc. months apart. Come talk to me when you have double teething, double breast feeding, double (non) naps, double infant crying, double car seats to lug around, etc.)
- Are they boys or girls?
(I can see how some people can get confused with the pink stroller, bows in their hair, earrings, painted nails and - our favorite - wearing princess dresses (TRUE STORY!) )
- Do they have different personalities?
(Nope, they are the same exact person.)
- Were you shocked when you found out you were having twins?
(We expected it since twins do not run in either of our families.)
- Do you keep them on the same schedule?
(Not only do we, but it's essential for our sanity.)
- How do you do it?
(It's like the Nike slogan: We "Just do it." And since they are our firsts, we don't know any different.)
- Do they have their own language?
(Well considering they can't speak yet ... no.)
- Maybe they can be like Mary Kate and Ashley Olson.
(I sure hope not.)
- Do they play together?
(If you always had someone your own age around, wouldn't you?)
- I bet they are expensive.
(Well, take the cost of a single baby and ... you guessed it, double it! But to make you feel better about your single birth, twins go through about 4,702 diapers the first year. Since all twin parents are thrifty parents - out of necessity - buying the bulk diaper boxes still will run twin parents about $1,200 in the first year! And don't get us started with the cost of formula!)
- Michelle's Favorite: Are they natural?
(Um, what's an artificial twin?)
- Someone actually asked Adam in Publix: How did you do it?
(It was a chilly October night, candles were lit ...)
WHEN THEY ARE OLDER:
- They can't be twins, can they?
(Just because we start looking different with weight, features, etc. doesn't mean we "lose" our rights to be twins. Fraternal twins can be as different as other siblings.)
- Do you like being a twin?
(I really didn't have a say in it from the beginning. But having a best friend for life - ya that's pretty cool.)
- Do you have a special twin language?
(No, but just to mess with people we sometimes pretend!)
- Can you tell what your twin is thinking? Can you feel when he/she is in pain?
(We are twins, not super humans.)
- Can people tell you apart?
(Depending on whether they are identical or fraternal, the answers vary.)
- Who is older?
(Why? Does it really matter?)
- I wish I had a twin.
(Everyone is fascinated with twins. But really, it's not that much different than having any other sibling. OK, I lied. It's pretty awesome.)
- Do you do everything together?
(If anyone did everything with anyone, both would probably go insane.)
- Which one are you?
(The one to whom you are talking.)
- What's it like to be a twin?
(What's it like to be a human? I mean, how do you answer a question like that?)
- Twin-kle Twin-kle little stars. Oh how wonderful ALL TWINS ARE!
- Copy / Paste or Ctrl + C / Ctrl + V
- Two peas in a pod
- If you think I'm cute, you should see my twin!
- You can't scare me, I have twins!
- Mom/Dad of twins: Ya, I'm an overachiever
- It wasn't me, my twin did it
- I was first / I was born a minute earlier / I was Baby A
- Parents of twins: Sleep is overrated
- I LAUGH at your one baby
- I'm so great God made two of me!
- Got twins?
- Stunt double
- BOGO: Buy one, get one free
- Twins are people two
- Michelle's Favorite: I grow twins, what's your superpower?
- Adam's Favorite: Real men make twins